I'm starting over.
I was cleaning out some boxes today and I found something odd. A slightly newer version of the story. It is dated two years later, and the difference is amazing. I used to do that, by the way -- every year or so I would rewrite this entire series until I finally stopped myself and moved on to new things.
I'm taking some of what I did and reworking it into a new version. I got through the first section of the book -- about 8,000 words -- and knew that I wanted something different anyway.
I already have nearly 1000 words on it. Added with the previous work (which I am taking as worldbuilding and counting it, since I'm going to use parts of it again), I have done nearly 3000 words today.
So not a complete loss, and I like the new version better already.
I am not going to redo it again, no matter what I find in boxes.
Time to work, though. I'm betting I can get back up to the 8,000 mark in a couple days, so it's not all that bad.