Monday, September 20, 2004

Write and write more



Ada Nish Pura is up to about 46,000 words. I've begun to hit some really rough spots in the story -- items showing up that have not been mentioned before, repeating actions and words apparently just for the word count (grin), etc. But my people are going into their first real battle, so things will speed up again.

The editing of Mirrors is wonderful. I can't gurantee that the book is wonderful, but I'm having a great time working on it.

I've been working on the website for DT, too. I hope to have it up next week.

It's interesting to see novels take shape and reshape themselves with each set of edits. I barely wrote Mirrors a year ago, but I can see a lot of change from the first draft to this one. Ada Nish Pura came in two parts originally, and I'm at the melding point where it just didn't work out well. I can see some of the problems, in fact. I started using different names for items, adding in things that hadn't been there before -- stuff like that. The work on it has been intense, but enjoyable.

I feel like I'm really at a sort of crux point in my work. As soon as I get DT up and going, I'll have to change gears somewhat again, and focus on new work and new challenges. I'm looking forward to it, but this stage between will drive me crazy.

So I'll go bury myself in more novel writing. It seems wise before I drive others crazy as well.




No comments: