Thursday, June 13, 2002

Midnight. Two chapters done. Into the third one.

Why is this novel fighting me? And it's not even hitting that hard... just dragging it's tail in the dirt, slowing me down from getting to anything else. Part of it, of course, is that I have not done the one thing that I tell everyone else to do. When you finish a manuscript -- whatever rewrite you are on -- put it aside and work on something else for a while.

But I don't have time. I don't have time because the novel dragged its tail all through the initial writing, and now I'm far behind already.

I am, I'm glad to say, about half way through this last run. I can do this. Maybe some good music.... I don't often work to music, but this might be the time to do it. Nothing with words, though. Words tonight would just distract me. I'm looking for distractions. Adagios, perhaps or something... well, something interesting. Yes. Yo-Yo Ma playing Japanese Melodies. It's going on right now.

I am on page 200 of 214. (I copy to a new file by chapter, so the last page number is the last page of the current chapter.)

No comments: