Wednesday, December 25, 2002

Merry Christmas!

We've had a good day. We're about to open presents, now that we're home and everything else (including working on the city's internet server) is done. I am having trouble uploading my journal for some reason, but I don't really care tonight.

I did, however, have a really interesting insight into Ada Nish Pura in the last couple days.

It's sitting right now at a little over 60,000 words, which is pretty good for me in first draft. It is also sitting at a crux point in the story, a place where the MC both makes a decision and is accepted by the people for whom he will now work. He has, in effect, become a member of the clan. The chapter I am working on right now sets up a chain of events...

But the chapter after that takes place about a year later, in the full bloom of the war.

I have two books, not one.

This is not the first time something like this has happened to me. It may be my mind just telling me there is no way I can get all the rest of this novel done in the little time I have left this year and grabbing at a logical alternative. But I have a good plan here, and it allows me to expand both halves a bit more. I had, I admit, rushed the outline of the last half of the novel because I didn't want it to be more than 80 or 90,000 in the first draft. Now I can go back and add in all the things that I had skipped over in favor of a shorter section.

And you know, it's not like I need the word count.

So, I will likely be done with Ada Nish Pura, Book 1, in the next day or so. Then all I have is Turkey Shoot.

And Vision.

And a couple rewrites to get something out for submission this month.

Yeah, I think this is a really good plan.

No comments: