Friday, April 07, 2006

Why I don't use FM

In an email today someone asked why I never post material on Forward Motion.

There's a really good, simple answer, odd though it is.

I don't post anything for critique because I don't have the time to return the favor.

I believe in the method FM has set up of helping each other. You don't have to be published to know a good (or bad) sentence when you see one. Readers, rather than writers, are just as good at spotting plot problems, too. There are many people at FM who are very good at helping others refine their work.

I believe that in order to get critiques, you need to give critiques. You can post once or twice without offering anything in return, but eventually the people figure out that you're not holding up your end.

Could I get away with 'I own the place, do this for me?'

Probably. But it wouldn't be fair.

So, at best, I'll post a question or two now and then. That doesn't mean I'm not learning a number of things from other posts, though. (grin) Posted by Picasa

No comments: