Friday, January 07, 2005

Yes, a bit busy



So tell me, why do people get themselves into situations that a protozoa would have enough sense to back away from, and then are shocked and dismayed when it doesn't work? Let's not even talk about supposed intelligence here. Common sense should play into life somewhere.

There are moments of 'you are an idiot' but they generally pass and I laugh instead. I have been able to predict a lot of obvious things in my time (duh), but somehow I don't see the things that are in my hands sometimes. So far I seem to be able to handle it all. So here's my current problem. Nothing all that earth-shaking, but it is driving me nuts.

I have two sets of 2YN people taking the class. That's going very well, really. I don't have a problem because all of year one is written, and for a while year two is going to be pretty light until we get to the wrap up and get it out the door stuff. However, one of the things I always planned was to help go over work by the participants. I have set up the 2YNY2 people to give me the first three chapters of their work when they're ready and we'll talk about it.

So far I have managed to get through... one chapter.

See, what I didn't take into account was that I would suddenly have an influx of slush to DTF and that a good portion of it would be very good slush. Plus I have the work of getting the first DTF novel ready for release. So suddenly I am overwhelmed with editing of everything but my own work.

Sometime in the next two weeks we'll start work on the editing/rewriting/whatever for Ada Nish Pura. Need to make a sizeable inroad into this before then.

I keep thinking that this isn't going to work. But it will, really. I know it's not as bad as I think at the moment -- on very little sleep. If I start scheduling more editing time I can get a chapter a night on something. Maybe two -- one for 2YN and one for DTF. Five pages a night on Glory, too. Writing is slower than hell this year, but I think it'll pick up this weekend. I'm looking at an old novel to rewrite and that will keep my 'writing brain' tricked and happy for a couple weeks.

Ah. See. If I think this way I can get everything worked out. I'm already in a better mood, too -- and despite that I have a LOT of work to do to get to the point where I feel like I'm caught up.

I think I'll take a break and work on my schedule. I don't see any reason to go charging off into this without one!

No comments: