Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Let it snow....


Ice on the Missouri River, a few days ago

We have a winter snow warning until midnight, and though we don't have the 12-18 inches of snow they originally predicted, this isn't bad for the first snow of the year. Maybe 7-8 inches so far, and a few more hours to go.

See, I like snow. I think if it's going to be cold anyway, it might as well be white and cold and give us something pretty to look at. I love winter storms. Russ stayed home and worked out of his office next door. If he were working down in Lyons tonight (about 50 miles away), I would likely feel differently about the snow. But he's right next door. I have chili cooking in the crock pot, and we're going to have a nice little stay at home night. Maybe watch a show or two. Twister might be fun. Just watching that movie makes me feel like it's summer and hot.

I have already written my first 10,000 words for the year. I'm not entirely certain how that happened since it feels as though everything is moving far too slowly. I did realize something interesting about Serendipity Blues, though. It will not be rushed. I'm going to be getting about 1000 words a day on it and I doubt it will ever move any faster than that rate. I'm not complaining. In fact, just allowing myself to realize this has taken a lot of the stress off of writing it. I'll have the first draft one by the end of March if all goes well. I'm happy with that plan!

The editing of Glory is going well, too. I've cut a lot of excess verbiage in the first 25 pages. I think this is going to be the final edit, too. I have plans for it this spring, so I'll probably start doing more than 5 pages a day soon. I just wanted to start the year out slowly.

I do intend to start a new writing project, though. I have another older novel that I want to rewrite from scratch. This has worked very well for me, and given me some nice material to submit that would otherwise just sit in the file cabinet taking up space. Those are fun to do because it is such a graphic example of how much my writing has changed over the years.

But right now... I think I'll go finish up the chili and have a nice dinner with Russ. Hope all the rest of you are nice and snug in your houses!

No comments: