Sunday, August 22, 2004



Pretty Macaw

Well, I've done something that I normally would not do. I let one of my house cats go back outside.


Nazir has been inside for nearly a year. He has been increasingly unhappy when we see him at all. He spends his time at my office window crying, and panics if I even reach to pet him. It's very odd because he is absolutely the opposite of his brother, Wind.


Tonight I just couldn't take it any more. So I opened the window, watched to make sure no one else came around, and he showed up a couple minutes later and stepped out. He headed for a bit of weeds and branches, rolled around in the dirt, and then crawled into the fallen branches. He's now cautiously examinig the yard.


If he comes back to the window and indicates he wants back in, I'll let him. But for the moment, he seems happier. The stray cats outside are a bit startled, but no one argued the point at all.



What else today? We bought a really nice book that has pages and pages of guidelines straight from publishers. Most of them are odd magazines, which is really great since that's the kind of stuff Russ writes for, and his prime magazine is changing hands, so he's starting to look at wider vistas again.


I'm trying to figure out if I can get Paid in Gold and Blood finished before the Labor of Love madness at FM, or if I should just plan on doing Unfinished Business and finish the novel off them. It is only a few days away, and it seems wiser to work on it. I have another outline ready, but it can wait. Yes, I know I've mentioned all this before, but obviously I'm still trying to make up my mind. A lot of it, I suppose, will depend on how the rest of this week goes.


I have been writing over 3000 words a day for a couple months now. It's gotten easy -- at least while I'm working on this novel. I imagine the next one will not be nearly as easy. I'm happy with the work, though. The story has been great. And, in fact, I think I'll get back to it.

No comments: