Thursday, February 12, 2004



I have been bombarded with story ideas lately. This is, as usual, inconvenient. I'm trying to get Muse finished! I don't think it's asking too much that I be allowed to finish something before my brain is hijacked by another idea. Or two. Or four or five, as in this case.

I have taken to walking around the house with two very small notebooks in hand. One says Tabor's Tale, and it's actually something I need to write -- part of the next Dark Staff novel. That's been fun. I do a page or so in there, handwritten -- maybe a couple hundred words at a shot. I figure when I fill the little book I'll type it all up and have something positive to show for it.

The second notebook? That's for The Standard of the Gods. No, don't look back through my site trying to figure out which one that is. It's new. It's... interesting. Right now I'm doing mostly worldbuilding, though bits of the story pop in every now and then. The characters are talking to me in my sleep. I have to keep the notebook next to me to get the words down when I wake up. I've heard bits of their language, and seen glimpses of their rituals. I know that they live in the deserts, and that they are protecting two things that are very important. One is The Standard of the Gods -- a huge golden pole surmounted by a piece of black obsidian (volcanoes are important to this tale) and with a flag that is incredibly embroidered. The other item they are protecting is a pregnant woman from another land who fell into their hands during a massacre.

The two main characters are a tribesman and a man from the pregnant woman's lands. I think the enemy is another tribe, but I'm not entirely certain yet.

Now, the good thing is that I'll start this book on my birthday. I always start a new book on my birthday, and I think this one is going to be fun and exciting to work on. I hope to have Muse done by then, but I'm not sure if I will. And, of course, there is still Farstep Station.

And you know... I don't care. I want to write with joy again. I want to see where this new novel is going to take me -- just like I want to see the end of Farstep Station as well. I'll write them both. I'll have them both done by the end of the year. The one thing I'm never going to do is ignore inspiration.

And this is fun!

No comments: