Friday, April 09, 2004



I have finally figured something out about myself -- something that should have been plain a long time ago. I finally figured out certain things drive me nuts.

Let's look at the situation of Forward Motion. And this is not about any particular situation. It's something I've seen a number of times during the last six years or so. It's an odd pattern that I finally put together in the last couple weeks.

Here is a site where a number of people volunteer their free time. They get nothing in return except knowing that they are helping others. Most of them are rarely even thanked for the work they do.

There are no fees for anyone who wants to join the site. Nothing is asked of those who stop by. If they find something that helps them, that's great. If they don't, they aren't required to stay. No one, in fact is required to do anything at FM. It's there for those who want to take advantage of it.

And yet there are people who, finding Forward Motion doesn't work for them, have to insult the place. They find it necessary to say something rude or attack the people doing the work because they didn't make it perfect for that particular person.

And this really drives me nuts. If it were a site or class where you paid a lot of money to get into and found that it didn't work... well, then maybe there was a reason to complain. But in a site that asks absolutely nothing from anyone except to check it out and enjoy what you find if it suits you... I think a bit more politeness might not be a bad idea.

It's that lack of politeness that drives me mad, and even drives me to say things that are equally impolite. Knowing it... maybe I can control those reactions. Maybe I can laugh at the people who think sites should be just for them and feel that insulting others will somehow make them look better than us.

It might happen. You never know. (grin)


No comments: