Thursday, January 31, 2002

I have had one of those odd, stupid breakthroughs that make you sit back and go, oh duh.

It's for the story, Brothers. It was not moving. I could inch my way forward with a few hundred words, eke out a thousand, and then sweat over it for the next 24 to 48 hours. The problem -- and I kept seeing it, but didn't actually face it -- was that the story wanted to end. Not the overall adventure, which will take the two characters many places in their world, but just this particular part of the adventure where they meet up, join forces to fight against a wrong, and start out away from the city.

Anyone else here read about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser?

The reason it wants to end is because this is not a novel, but a collection of short stories, stupid. It wants to end because it is an adventure in itself, and while there is an over all storyline to follow, it is not necessary to take it every single step of the way.

I think I can finally get it through a touching scene at a cemetery and an unwanted reunion on the road. And then it will be done. Duh.

No comments: