Tuesday, January 15, 2002

How serious am I?

That's the real question, when it comes down to it. Do I really want to make that paper print sale? The answer is...maybe.

In short stories, it would be fun. I've never heard of any of the problems with publishing short stories that I've heard with novels. The rewrites, the copyeditors from hell, deadlines and name changes when books don't quite sell fast enough...

I enjoy writing. I'm not as certain I would enjoy it as a 'pro' job. But there's only one way to find out, and that's to keep working on material to try in pro markets. I mean it's not as though once you're there you can never go back again. Unfortunately, I've seen a number of people fall back down the ladder, though none of them willingly so far.

My current novel rewrite for a pro market is Aubreyan. It's definitely in the YA fantasy range. It has a number of sequels, but is good as a stand alone novel. I think it might be close. But then, I've been wrong before... maybe.

It's one of those nights when I would do better just to write something and not really worry about all the rest of this.

Good plan.

No comments: