Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Flikr

I have discovered Flikr

Okay, I knew it existed before now. But all I ever saw of it was a kind of dull looking page with a picture someone would point me too, and a lot of writing around it. Boring.

Then the Cornell Lab of Ornithology pages pointed out their Flikr group. Groups? There are groups? I went and looked around.

Oh my.

Don't go there if you don't want to have serious photography envy. And camera envy. I want one of those lovely DSLRs. Oh and the $1600 lens I saw one of them uses would be nice, too, of course. (grin)

The groups are fun. I've found ones for my two favorite Wildlife Refuges and one for Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo. You can imagine me frantically searching through years and years of pictures looking for just the right ones to post.

It's nice to start looking to photography again, especially since spring is more or less here. I've also been sitting out at the dining room table with my old computer where I write through the afternoons and take pictures of the bird feeders outside the window. Well, not of the feeders themselves, but the birds who show up there. There's quite a range of guys from little chickadees to large doves. I've been getting 300 to 400 pictures a day. I usually do multiple shots in quick succession, since the birds are so fast and you can't just wait for the right pose or you'll miss it.

I plan to go for walks down toward the river if the weather ever looks like it's going to be both warm and not rain at the same time. I have done a little bit of around the block stuff. (Did I just hear thunder again?)

Oh and writing at the dining room table -- that means no Internet and a lot of words. My little fantasy book is over 30k suddenly. So it's all going well.

Unfortunately, that's the window where the AC unit has to go. Can I survive summer here with out AC? I really don't think so -- though I do have a smaller unit I could put in my office. Hmmmm.... have to think about that. Of course, then it would be too hot to sit in the dining room and work.

We'll just have to see what I can come up with.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: