Friday, July 17, 2020

Flash Fiction # 416 -- Lost in Elsewhere/26




Staring up at the sky, I had two distinct thoughts.

Help has arrived!

Hell -- help is a flying cat and monkeys.

The screams had gotten Darman's attention.  I probably should have leapt for him, magic sword and all, but the wolves were starting to make ominous noises.  Lord Snow had his ears back and had crouched down and prepared to leap.

Edmond and his companions had their own idea of what to do.  They started to throw things, pelting wolves and Darman.

Throwing apples.

Momba gave a shout of delight and a cackle of a laugh that could have come straight out of the Wizard of Oz movie.   Then she started throwing some magic of her own, and both Storm and I backed up and got out of the way.

Darman grew enraged, though.  I knew his temper, and I knew they didn't have many apples left.  Momba had taken on the dire wolves.  I'm not sure why she didn't go for Darman himself, but the wolves were dangerous enough on their own.

When I saw Darman aim his hand at the sky, I yelled and darted straight at him.

That was what he had expected.

Whatever magic he had at hand hit me like fire lodging in my body.  I cried out and went to my knees, blinded by the red and white lights surrounding me.  I think I cried out.  I thought I heard Edmond yelling my name, and I feared he had even come close enough to touch the magic.  I thought he howled in pain.

And that ... that angered me.  Anger is not my best emotion, but there is no doubt that anger can bring strength.  I also became aware that one part of my body was not burning.

I still had hold of the ice sword.

I brought it up and cut away part of the fire lights.  Was ice stronger than fire?  I didn't know.  What I did have, though, was my own determination to get out of this trap and help the others.  I had to make sure that Edmond was alright.  Momba had magical power of her own.  Lord Snow -- I was never sure if he had more power than just to speak or not.  He was my companion, as well.

I would not let them fall because I had leapt at the wrong time.

I cut more into the fire lights.  I could breathe a little better.  I was making progress, but I was also aware that Darman had started moving closer to me.  Had my companions failed?

The spell fell away, but that was not my doing.  There was no battle to end the spell, either.  Darman had dropped the magic, and he'd done so because he stood right in front of me.  I could still hear Lord Snow fighting, and I thought I sensed Momba's magic -- but I had lost the battle.

"Finally, I can be done with you, and I get a pretty prize as well," Darman said and smiled.  It was not a friendly look.  I tried to struggle back to my feet, but none of my body wanted to work yet.

Well, all except for the hand and arm that held the sword.  I bowed my head as he took another step closer, and I focused on the weapon.  Knowing Darman has well as I did, I knew one thing -- he was going to take the sword before he killed me because he would want me to know how badly I had lost.

Akanthursta throbbed in my hand.  I thought the sword might have taken some damage as well.  I also thought it had kept me alive, and that was the real reason Darman had dropped the spell.  He could not win over the sword, but he could take it from me.

No.

Darman took another step closer.  I did not look up.  Instead, I kept my head bowed and focused on his feet and the shadow of his movement.  I knew when he was close enough to reach.  He paused.  I felt the surge of magic in him, ready to kill me outright -- ah, but he couldn't while I had the sword.  So he must take Akanthursta first.

He reached.

I fell backward and swept the sword up at him.  He leapt back, but the edge of the blade caught his hand -- just the merest touch, but he called out in pain.  He held his wounded hand, and I could see that the fingers were limp and blue.  The ice had not killed him, but it had given him a wound from which I didn't think he would quickly recover.

He backed away in haste.  I somehow got to my feet, though I didn't think I would stand there for long.  Darman looked much the same, though.  His dire wolves had backed up behind him, three still on their feet, but none of them without claw marks.  I heard Lord Snow give a low, ominous rumble of a growl, so he was still alive.  Momba and the monkeys were to my left.  I had a peripheral sense of them there and as tense as Lord Snow. 

Edmond?  I desperately wanted to look for Edmond, but I knew that he'd attack the moment I turned away from Darman.  So, I kept my eyes on him and matched his hatred with my anger.

"You won't survive," Darman snarled.  He carefully lowered his wounded hand to his side, but even that must have hurt.  "You won't survive, you little bastard half-human --"

His good hand had lifted, and the power he brought to his fingers was enough to almost blind me.  I lifted Akanthursta, but the sword felt heavy, and maybe not as cold as it had been.  I didn't think I could hold the attack off, and Darman was not playing games this time.  He meant to kill me.

Darman's hand came up, his chin lifted --

And Edmond bit him on the ankle.

No comments: