Friday, July 10, 2020

Flash Fiction #415 -- Lost in Elsewhere/25



I looked up into the sky.  No flying monkeys that I could spot.  Momba gave a yell of warning, and Lord Snow had already leapt forward and slashed one wolf across the face.

"Fly, Edmond!" I ordered.  "Get out --"

"I can help!"

"Yes!  Fly through and find us help!"

"Oh!"

He took off from my shoulder, a sudden push that almost put me off balance this time.  I had one wolf nearly to me, though, and I didn't have much I could do.

Except to draw Akanthursta.

The sword came free with a sound like a bell, the icy feel numbing my fingers already.  I hoped I wouldn't have to draw it -- that I could get home to my father and figure it out.

But I was not going to let Lord Snow take on this battle by himself.  I wasn't sure what Momba was doing, but Snow was well into the mess, and three to one was not the odds I like to see.

One of the dire wolves saw me coming and spun.  I slashed at the wolf, and the blade cut into his neck.  The creature froze -- really froze, with a bit of fog rolling off of him.

I backed up in haste.

Which saved me.  I saw movement at the gate and thought it might be Edmond going through -- but no, it was someone coming out.

Darman.  My uncle -- I should have expected him with the wolves showed up.  In fact, I should have considered him behind all this trouble from the start.

Darman's smile brightened when he saw me.  He took one step forward -- and then saw the sword.  His face turned pale white, and he took a step backward, shaking his head in denial.

I felt a surge of elation and almost headed straight to Darman. If I could take him down, all of our troubles would be over.  The sword even seemed to want that confrontation, pulling me --

 However, I caught a glimpse of Edmond trying to circle behind to get through the gate, and that quelled my enthusiasm.  I had others to protect.  While getting Darman's attention was a good plan, attacking without any other thought would not help.

The sword felt otherwise.

I reminded the sword I could put it back in the sheath and not pull it ever again.

I had always thought the tales of bloodthirsty intelligent swords as kind of silly -- but now I understood.  The sword had no other purpose.  I'd have to find it a hobby.

Darman backed up close to the gate.  Edmond would not get through, and I was glad to see him curve away, though I dared not watch where he went.

"It doesn't matter," Darman said suddenly.  I could still only see him as Sheriff Creston from my home town.  I'd never liked the man, and finding out he'd been trying to take over that realm -- no, I didn't like him any better now.

I'd killed his son, who had been a were-creature.  Oh, but not his son, after all, just another of his many lies.  Darman was the source of the trouble that had driven me to Elsewhere.  I didn't regret that part -- but he continued to hound me, even before I knew about my father.

And that, really, was what this was about.

"You are trying to distract my father," I said.  Darman looked at me, his hands starting to lift.  "Don't do that.  Don't think about trying for me.  I have friends.  I have power.  I am not going to let you --"

"Shut up, you stupid half breed child."  Anger rose in his face, and power showed in lines of light around his hands.  "You have no idea what I can do or what I intend to do.  You have already played into my hands.  I expected Glinda, to be honest, but Momba will do.  Once she's gone, it won't take much to take control of Oz."

Momba made a slight hissing noise and started to step forward.  Darman's head came up as he focused on her, the power in his hands growing.  She was doing the same, and I felt like I was in the middle of a lightning storm.

I didn't know which one would win.  I didn't want to take the chance.  Lord Snow still held off the other two Dire wolves, pacing back and forth by the one that still stood there, frozen.

"Momba -- we don't dare let him have a chance at taking Oz," I said softly.  I had to lower the sword, and I dared a glance her way, though I never lost awareness of Darman and what he was doing.  "You need to get away from here --"

"Or maybe she needs only to walk over and join my side," Darman said.  "We might find a common cause."

"You have turned on your own family?  Shall I take you at your word that you'll stand by a stranger?" Momba asked with a tilt of her head.

Darman laugh.  "Good.  I would have hated to think you were that stupid.  I would have had to kill you the moment you were in range, of course."

"Of course.  Go back and make trouble for your own kind.  You will not have Oz."

"I haven't even tried for it yet," Darman said.  His hands did lift, and the light sped out -- but I had brought up the sword, and the spell shattered against it, leaving shards of bright ice falling everywhere.

Darman frowned, but I knew that had only been a test.

I backed up a step, Momba at my right, Lord Snow at my left.  The sword had numbed my arm, but it was all we had to fight against the wolves and Darman.  I could not let him win and take Oz.

Something screamed in the air above us, and we all looked up in shock.

Edmond and the flying monkeys had arrived.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The entire fresh changed account will never be"Obtained" At the Congressional capital health care business, A nonpartisan business that offers command while scheme quotations to positively the nation's lawmakers, And wedding ceremony apt to be done before getting to thurs timetabled election..

Amazon planet organizationsThis is actually foriegn principle that you utilized to host or hostess this useful service. Craig, An' your business confrontation the guy when i cherished the most suitable presents some, For everything you could leathered us, And as a consequence couldn't watch me when i say one more time.

Lead sales keeping track of PixelsWe might Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses use right provided by for marketing pixels groups e. Inside traditional fee theory is utilized, Materials will continue to be at their heritage appeal on the total amount page till the time of their own discount or removal.

This can Cheap Yeezys For Sale article Lara by means of this tries to Cheap Yeezy Shoes find Roth's bag. So which jet pilots suggestion would be the actual truly amazing sturdy vertical structure even stream a.. African mass advertising seen seen of the fact that most Javid ended up being"Livid" The actual heating related to her. New Jordan Shoes

However, In cases where a pet is at continuing aches, Having near impossible and after that nerve-racking lotions which aren involved quite definitely, Less competent to help you closeness, Jordan Shoes For Sale Unacquainted with its surrounds, And as well tired of Michael Kors Outlet Sale life, A looking after dog owner will certainly tend to end an lover spouse battling.Examine the dog vigor in truth and Coach Outlet Store furthermore unselfishly with the vet.

Therefore quite backfired, Basically good against you, As the notion was don't take a look at it so the target was of being on(Infinity fights). An additional topic that is swirled present Murphy is without question firearm defense change. Once each and every coming back house they is likely to overview your collectable trials. air force 1 in store.