Monday, November 14, 2016

NaNo Week 2

I wrote about the election.  I erased it.  Let us just say that I am not happy, but all we can do is hope for the best now.

So now we start week 2 of NaNo.

My writing slowed way down for a few days.  It has picked back up again and tonight I crossed the 100k mark.  Yeah, nothing really to complain about there, except I need to write 6k a day pretty much for the rest of the month if I want to reach 200k.  I would like that number because that would mean I have a bit over 3 million words total for all the NaNos I've written. I started in 2001.  Yes, this is year 16.

Raventower 2 is down to the last 9 chapters or so of the outline.  It's gone over 100k and I think it will top out around 120k so this is a good, solid first draft to work with later.  I disliked a battle scene between airships, so that's going to change when I get to it.  I think I need to work on a map for that one.

I have a few powerful scenes coming up from here to the end.  If I can stay focused, I should have the first draft done by midweek.  I have two more outlines on hand to cover the rest of the month.  I suspect I'll go with Silversun a sort of science fiction/western about a world that was terraformed to handle plants and animals on the brink of extinction in the American Southwest.  The original experiment has been abandoned and new settlers have moved in where they face what was left behind plus some really nasty local creatures.  It should be fun to write.  I divided it into 'episodes' like a TV series.  I did that a few years ago with a science fiction book call Tales from Grey Station Nine and it worked very well.  We'll see if I can pull it off again.

But let's not get too far ahead of myself here.  Finish Raventower & Merriweather 2: War before I leap off to the new book.

I just hope it can go back to being fun.  Right now it's just a bit too much of a fight.

No comments: