Sunday, June 17, 2007

As close as I come to Writer's Block

I'm having problems getting the blood pressure down and to stay down. It's better today again. I'm really not doing too badly, but the ear problems have been driving me nuts. I think that's why the blood pressure goes up and down. And my eyes won't focus well, which is just annoying. Snarl. But it's all getting better.

I am having trouble concentrating. It's not that I can't write -- I'm managing several hundred words at a shot when I finally focus, but getting there is proving nearly impossible.

And becasue I can't focus, making logical next steps in stories is very difficult, even when I know what happens next. I know how Koya and his companion are going to escape in A Plague of Rats. What I can't seem to do is move to that point. It's very odd.

Having had this kind of trouble before, yesterday I finally realized what I needed to do. And it worked. At this point, I don't trust myself with the new material. No, more truth is that I don't want to work that hard right now. But I want to write. So what's the answer?

Pulling out a 25 year old manuscript and starting a rewrite from scratch. I don't really need another project, but this one is working, at least. I did more writing in an hour yesterday than I had done in the two previous days combined. I loved the characters and the concept -- magic gone wrong and tying several desperate people together as they try to escape from various troubles. The story is Those Who Seek Sanctuary. So far, it's going well. It's a good thing I pulled it out to redo it now, too. The original is from an old Atari computer and a much faded dot matrix print out. A few more years and I might not have been able to read it.

So, see, there's a reason to do this now.

I am also playing with art stuff. The picture above was done a week or so ago, and it's a painting based on a picture I took. I really liked how it turned out.

So there is my report. I'm doing better. I'm writing, just not on things I should be working on. I did get many things done for Vision yesterday, so I feel better about that. Russ will be home Thursday. Friday is our 28th anniversary, so we'll likely head to a refuge or something. (Russ is awful nice about going places I want to go for anniversaries!)

I have things to look forward to. I have writing to do. I have a silly Zaphod cat trying to climb over my work to get to my lap. He's HUGE!

So, off to do some writing and relax. Sounds good to me.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Pandababy said...

I love your river painting, and also the tree in the rain on zette - I could FEEL the rain when I saw that tree!

So glad you're finding ways to work although not feeling too well, and thank you for telling about it - I'm going to try working with my old manuscripts when I feel crummy and don't want to work with new material.

Happy Anniversary to you and Russ.

D.M. Bonanno said...

Oh geez, you know how sad it would have been to lose a novel to poor print? :( Good luck with the project, it sounds like an interesting story.