Thursday, June 23, 2005

Submitting work



Remembering Atlantis
(Click for larger version)

One of the more difficult things I do each month is prepare two manuscripts for submission. Oh, sometimes I get more than two out, but two is the minimum and I've done this since... 1998, I think. Maybe before that, but I can't remember.

With all the material I have, you'd think it would be easy, right? But it isn't, and that's because I won't just jot something off and drop it in the mail (or email) as the case may be. I may write a lot each month, but I am a firm believer in letting material sit for at least a few weeks (and sometimes longer) before I even look at it to edit. The farther away from the story I can get, both in time and thought, the better the editing will go.

But okay, I do edit quite a bit, too.

So here's the next reason I get slowed up. I seriously consider where I'm submitting material. I try to find good matches, either in print or in epublishing. I don't want to burn out my chances at a publisher with a reputation as 'that person who sends us stuff every month, and it never fits our needs. And I also was taught not to compete with myself in the slush pile. Once a story is rejected, it's not going back to that market, so I try not to waste them.

And that brings me to the last week of June. I have two things in mind to get out, but one is not nearly ready, and I'm not sure I can do it in the last week. The other is a short story, and if I devote a couple days to it, I think I can get it done in time.

But I also have Vision due at the end of the month.

No choice on any of it, really. I suspect that it's time to look back through some older material that has been edited and give some of it a try elsewhere. Sometimes I just don't even consider that I have older material still. Bad zette.

That's what comes of being prolific and so enjoying each new story or novel. I move on, and sometimes forget to look back. I think this week is the time to do so!

No comments: