Friday, September 20, 2024

Flash Fiction #633 -- Neko's Trip Home/13

 

Colin let me play in the water while he dealt with Teeth. The creature was starting to make odd noises, and while his arms and head still moved, he was increasingly still as the water rose over his knees and to his waist. It remained no more than four inches high where I waited.

"There are two sides to fear. What we consider first is what scares us. But some take pleasure in creating fear. This creature is no more than sand and fear. Something else directs it."

I would have figured that out if I hadn't been so afraid.

"Does that mean it is close by?" I asked with a quick twitch of my head.

"Very likely."

"Oh." I went back to playing in the water. Who knew when I might get another chance to have fun? It also allowed me to twist, turn, and watch in other directions while Colin worked with the sand-turned-to-stone man. I think I presented a reasonable vision of a brainless cat.

So I was the one to see it first: a black dot bouncing toward us. Bounce, bounce, bounce.

"Colin, we have company."

Colin looked where I pointed. "Well, there is something you don't see every day."

I looked at the sandman, worried since Colin appeared to have lost all interest. It did seem to be stone now. However, I glanced that way now and then.

Bounce, Bounce, swish.

The bouncing ball had changed.

"A guy in a mouse suit? Is this supposed to scare me?"

The mouse leaned closer. It was no costume, and mice have impressive teeth, too.

"How about I chase you for a while, cat. Time to play!'

A giant paw struck me with enough force that I lifted off the ground and flew for a few yards. At least the dusty sand made a soft landing, and I was smart enough to tuck and roll.

Then, the mouse landed beside me, with a cloud of dust rising around us. He was not wearing a mouse suit. This was a giant, fat mouse with shiny black eyes and a tongue that flicked in my direction like a snake darting out of a cave.

It was hideous. And scary.

"Neko! Don't run!"

I was ready to sprint -- but that was prey behavior.   No matter how big and scary Mousie looked, he was still just a rodent. I spun and attacked.

Yes, it was crazy. Wouldn't you be by this point? I wanted food, rest, and time with my friends. These creatures were annoying me beyond reason. I heard Colin yell at me, but I had gone to my predator side, and I barely heard --

Mousie grabbed me by the neck. He began shaking me, but even that didn't stop me from trying to claw his face. Nothing could stop me --

Except her laughter.

Maude.

Mousie changed, the form going slimmer, the head human. Oh yes, it was her, and I cried out in despair this time.

Part of my brain held on to some logic. This was not Maude. I could even sense that truth. This was made to frighten me, and I hated that feeling.

I would not let something else rule over me.

"Begone, whatever you are!" I said and hissed, trying to swipe at the hand that held me. She blinked in a moment of surprise. "You will not have control over me or over my mind. I was tired of your stupid, cruel games long before we parted. In fact, trapping me in that building was the kindest thing you ever did for me."

This might not have been the true Maude, but she had enough of the witch's personality not to take that insult well.

Good.

When Maude got mad, she also got stupid. In this case, she began viciously shaking me -- and forgot Colin. I think the real Maude might not have been that stupid, but this worked for me. Colin grabbed me out of her hand and then shouted some fae words, while she screamed in anger --

And disappeared.

"We need to go now," Colin warned. He waved his arm in a circular motion, though the movement looked shaky. A portal opened, though. Darion stared at us --

"Pull us back," Colin said. "Fast."

Colin started to fall. I put what power I could into him, leaving me with spots in front of my eyes and Maude's laughter.

I nearly panicked, but I knew Darion had hold of us. I closed my eyes. I drifted away from the world that I knew. We were back at the festival. I could sense it all in waves of good and bad emotion. I could sense happiness and excitement all through the city, but I also found dark things moving along the edges of the light. Their emotions were more complex, and I lingered near one group, wondering if they were guards or enemies about to attack.

Then I heard Colin talking.

"Every time we defeat one of the minions, the base magic grows stronger and learns more of what we can do." He sounded weary and I realized I rested in his lap.

The others sat on the floor with us. Shosha slept somewhere nearby.

The dark things were nearby, too. I could hear music and laughter and felt them glide closer to our tent. I did not want them here.

Time to awaken and tell the others of this new danger.

Awaken.

Only I couldn't. I tried to open my eyes, but I saw something dark staring at me. Human, I thought. A lot of them, hidden in shadows.

"One sees us," a voice whispered in that darkness. "It will warn -- no. We're safe. It is just a cat.

Just a cat?

I woke with a soft growl. Colin looked down at me, surprised.

"Darkness outside," I whispered.

"It is night," he replied.

"Look in the shadows. Look now, or we are lost."

No comments: