Thursday, March 17, 2022

Flash Fiction #502 -- The Long Way Home/2


 The castle bells rang first, then more began to add in throughout the city so that the sounds overlapped and built layer on layer.

"That answers one question," Jamison said.  He started to the window and stopped.  "The king is dead."

"That was what I had been told," Rory answered.  He did not relax.  It might have been better if it hadn't been confirmed.  "I wasn't certain until I saw the men next door.  Do open the curtains.  Everyone would at this point."

Jamison nodded.  Keltrina pulled back the edges and looked out.  They had a view straight across to the Ambassadors' lodgings.  The third-floor rooms were dark.  They shouldn't be.  There should have been movement everywhere --

Nothing moved in that building.  Nowhere that Rory could see.  There were five other ambassadors and their entourages with them.  They couldn't have killed them all!

Although, for all he knew, there were a hundred more of Kellic's men in the building.

They'd killed Old Anton already.  He had no hope for anyone who had been in that apartment.  A few of the others might have been out ... but the men were still waiting.

"Who are you?" Jamison asked, sitting in a chair as his wife stayed by the window.  He waved Rory to another, a high-backed affair that sat turned away from the window.  Good.  He almost felt as though the man knew this sort of work, though it might just be his natural instinct to be careful.  Many people who worked in government -- any nation's government -- tended to get that way.

"I am Rory Callen," he said as he stripped off his boots.  No use lying about any of it if Jamison asked the right questions.  "I was at dinner at the Blue Swan when I heard the king had died.  I headed straight back here to tell the Ambassador and urge him and the rest of his people to pack light and leave the capital but the quickest road out of Euriday."

"Because of Prince Kellic," Jamison said.  "You were part of the Ambassador's team, and we've passed on the street.  A minor secretary."

"That was my position with the ambassador, yes," Rory said.

Jamison nodded.  "If you were going to warn Ambassador Tranthin, why are you here with us?  Why did you stop us from going out?  Shouldn't your first concern be your employer?"

"I warned you because you were going to draw their attention by walking in front of the building.  I recognized one of the guards.  Sir Poltin, Prince Kellic's man.  And they'd already killed Old Anton, so I had little hope of reaching the others in time."

"Anton?" Keltrina said.  "Oh, you don't mean that fine old doorman?"

"I'm afraid so.  I'm sorry."

"You think the rest of your team is already dead," Jamison said.  He leaned forward.  "Kellic has no love for your land since your Queen turned down his suit for her daughter."

"Yes, we are well aware of that problem.  Honestly, the hope has always been that Prince Palkin would be declared over his brother.  I hope he hears the news and stays away."

"You don't sound like a person from Sunry," Keltina said with a frown.  She looked mistrusting for the first time.  "I spoke with the Ambassador's daughter at a gathering just last week, and I could hardly understand one word in five."  Then she stopped, and a look of dread came to her face.  "You think she's dead, too?"

"I fear so.  I'll have to find out."  He looked at Jamison and decided more trust hardly mattered now.  "And the truth is that I can sound like I'm from many different places."

"You are not just a clerk," Jamison said.

"No, but even the Ambassador never knew it.  I work for Queen Calladona," He said, giving away secrets -- it hardly mattered.  He could still see the closed curtains and dark rooms beyond.  "I don't want them to be dead.  If Kellic is behind this --"

"Is Prince Palkin in danger?"

Rory hadn't thought of that possibility.  The younger prince was at his Queen's Court last he heard.

"I would hope not from my people, but Kellic might have a long reach."  Rory stopped and pushed both hands through his hair this time.  "I won't deny that there could be a reaction at the capital, though.  Tranthin was a likable man and a distant cousin to the Queen.  It might lead to problems if the commoners get word before it reaches the court."

"What are you going to do?" he asked.

Rory glanced at the window and the edge at which Keltrina stared out, still and worried.  The bells continued to ring their doom, and he could hardly think.

"I need ta ge' 'ome," he said and realized his accent had changed, startling them both.  It surprised him as well, but it had been that thought of home that did it.  "Go home," he said more clearly this time.  "I need to get to the Queen and your prince.  I need out of the city.  I don't doubt they know I wasn't there.  Prince Kellic is known for efficiency if nothing else."

Jamison made an amused sound.  "Why do you trust me?  I could hold you here and send for the prince's men."

"You could," Rory agreed.  He did not add that holding him would not be easy.  "If you did, I would do my best to escape.  I don't think either of us wants that sort of trouble.  I don't think either of you would survive it, but it would not be me who would do you harm."

Keltrina glanced at him with open worry, but she was no fool.  Jamison's wife knew who would create the real trouble in this drama.  Rory didn't believe anyone trusted Prince Kellic and probably least of all those who worked with him.  The man knew no loyalty.

"I think there is a fire in the building," Keltrina whispered.

No comments: