Friday, April 23, 2021

Flash Fiction # 455 -- Raiders/5


 I couldn't see the bay door where we took on supplies.  The Catchin were all taller than me.  However, they were moved ahead at a steady pace, and while we were drawing a few stares, no one seemed anxious to get in the way and start trouble.

Wise.  Catchin were fierce when provoked, and Catchin with children -- yeah, I wouldn't cross them.  We had a few watching closely, though.  I noted that group.  I could almost see the disappointment in their eyes as some came closer.

The woman looked to me, her claws showing, though she kept her hands down.

"Just go," I said.  "We'll handle this."

"I won't leave you here to face these beings alone," she replied.

I gave an exasperated snarl of my own.  I'd come up against Catchin pride and determination a few too many times.  Her lips curled up, and her eyes crinkled.

"You have been with Lisel for a long time."

It was not a question.

"Long," I agreed.  "At least in adventures.  But I suddenly think I don't know him well at all.  His name means something to you."

"As does yours, Tana."

I glanced her way with a start and would have asked more, but four big, burly men were heading our way, and I didn't like the look on any of their faces.

I moved out in front of the Catchin woman and startled the men who might not have seen me behind the larger Catchin.  They came to a quick stop, probably because I had my hand on my laser pistol.

"What do you want?" I demanded.

A few of the Catchin looked back at the sound of my demand.  I waved them on, and so did the Catchin Woman, though she lingered at my shoulder.

"You can't take them," one of the men said.  He was the smallest of the group, so that made him only twice my size.  "They're ours."

Oh, not the thing to say to me.  I reached up and grabbed the man's collar, jerking the fool's head downward so I could look straight into his beady brown eyes.

"Tell me that you did not just imply that these Catchin are your slaves."

He started to speak, but his brain must have made a short circuit attempt to save his life.

"Owe me money," he mumbled.  "Can't go if they owe me money."

"Get me the invoices.  Right now."  I tapped his pocketcomp.  "We'll have it vetted through the ship."

"You can't --"

My hand went to my laser this time.  I was getting nervous because most of the Catchin were several yards away now, and I didn't like that my companion and I were out here on my own.

"I don't need no invoice.  I'll take this one in payment --"

Sometimes it's just not wise to antagonize local people, either in ports, on their ships, or on stations.  I knew this, of course.  I also knew that my crew and I would be here literally looking for trouble, and I didn't need to make more for us.  

I still shoved the pistol right into the fool's fat stomach.  I did not pull the trigger.

"She is not for sale.  She is not a slave.  If you have a legitimate claim for credits due, then file with the Belgium.  We'll cover anything you can prove."

"Listen, woman --" one of the others said and grabbed at my shoulder.

Krisin had arrived when I wasn't paying attention.  Krisin isn't as good a fighter as me, but he is larger, and he tends to be more relaxed.  He's also scary.  Though not so much as Lisel when he arrived, his fur bristling.

"You are the three who have been harassing my people," Lisel said.  "They told me as they went in the ship.  I believe we have reason to file charges --"

A few more guards were coming out of the bay.  I don't know what the men thought would happen, but they didn't stick around to find out.    There was a lot of snarling and posturing, but they retreated.

"To the ship," Lisel ordered the last woman.  "The Captain needs to leave soon.  Go."

She looked at Lisel with a frown and must have seen something more in his face.  "What is going on."

Lisel frowned, but then he answered in a quick series of snarls, growls, and clicks.  I saw shock come to her face this time, and she looked around with a shake of her head.

"You cannot stay," she said and caught both my arm and Lisel's and looked like she wanted another arm for Krisin.  "Come.  To the ship.  You can't stay."

"We have work to do," I said and managed to pull free of her.  "Lisel, take her."

He recognized that as an order and nodded, taking tight hold of the woman and speaking to her again in their own language as he urged her along.  I looked over at Krisin and shook her head, though I wasn't sure if it was shock or disbelief.

"Let's move out of the open," Krisin said and glanced around with a snarl of his own.  "We are not making friends."

"Is this going to make it harder?"

"Probably," he said and then gave a bright grin.  "Should we have done anything differently?  The Captain didn't even make a noise of being upset, you know."

"No surprise," I said.  We were heading back toward the market area.  I hoped Lisel didn't take long to catch up.  I really didn't want him out wandering around without us.  I almost called the ship and suggest they keep him there -- but no.  He was part of my crew.

People watched us a little more carefully, but I didn't see anything that looked like outright anger.  That made me feel a little better.  It occurred to me that the market people must have known that the Catchin were there -- that they were helping to hide them.

I wanted to save them all.

No comments: