Friday, October 14, 2011

A Change in NaNo Plans



I had the feeling, the more I worked with Water/Stone/Light, that this might happen.  The world is complex, the story intricate -- and I can't rush it, even in outline.  I might get the outline done before NaNo, but I decided I had better have something ready if it slows down again.


My second choice for NaNo this year has always been a fun Urban Fantasy called The Wrath of Bunny Hopper.  The outline is going together well and I might have that one done by early next week.  I also have two outlines from the Devlin (sf) series and even a contemporary YA mystery outline I've had for a few years.  So I am not without work for NaNo.


I am enjoying the Bunny Hopper story.  It's light, fun fare with a feel like my 2005 NaNo novel, Kat Among the Pigeons http://bit.ly/fPfILA.  I like Bunny's voice and I think she's going to be a great deal of fun to write.


Changing focus eased a great deal of stress for me at a time when everything seems to be nerve-racking.  A fun story sounds like just the sort of thing I want, and I am already half way through the outline for it.  So that's good. This will be a short novel -- maybe 60k.  I'm looking forward to writing the story.


Which is good because NaNo isn't very far away.  Ack!  17 days to go!  The new boards are up at the NaNo site, with all the usual new board NaNo problems.  It doesn't matter.  Many people are there and starting to get excited.  And panicked. Even I had a moment of panic when I thought I wouldn't have an outline done.  Then I realized I had outlines just waiting for me.


And besides, I've done NaNo without any outline, and I'm half tempted to just give that a try for one of the books this year.  We'll see how things go. 
 

If I get The Wrath of Bunny Hopper done in the next couple days, I think I'll go back to work on Water/Stone/Light.  I'm getting more ideas for it, too.  I hoped that would happen if I just stepped back and took some of the pressure off for it and other work.  I'm even avoiding some bits of research and world building for Bunny because these are things I can add in later.  In this case, I am going to write the story line and then adapt what needs changed when I settle on the setting.  I have an idea of where I want the book to take place, and I haven't been there in years.  However, I know enough to get through the first draft, at least!


And there is the huge difference between writing an urban fantasy and a fantasy in a brand new, just creating it world, of course.  Bunny will require some world building work, but not any true world building creation for most of the story.


As we get closer and closer to NaNo, I will be ever more crazy.  That's good.  I need a little fun insanity in my world.  So I am looking forward to NaNoWriMo and The Wrath of Bunny Hopper.


Let's get on to the fun.

No comments: