Saturday, December 21, 2002

The agenda is finally done and up. Yes, it really does take that long to get them done sometimes. This one actually gave me problems because of my Internet Connection, though -- I couldn't get the thing to post. Done now, though, and that means I have all the time in the world to write, right?

I am reading a wonderful book titled Genome by Matt Ridley. Yes, it is science. I don't read nearly enough science. This man has a prose style and a sense of humor to kill for. Copyrighted in 1999, and this edition from 2000 -- as close to modern science as I'm likely to get, although I know that the discussion on human/chimp likenesses is a bit out of date already. Still, it's a great book to read. How can you not love a line like this:

'Some mathematical masochist has calculated that the brain was adding 150 million brain cells every hundred thousand years, the sort of useless statistic beloved of tourist guides.' (Page 33)

I must track the man's other books down. It's been a long time since I read any science book that made me laugh out loud. His comments on Mendel are equally fun.

And I might learn something.

No comments: