Wednesday, August 20, 2003

The problem with editing like I'm doing with Glory is that it takes so long to make so few words. I know that sometimes it's hard for me to get past the 'word count' is important part of my mind set and into just enjoying this work. I love rewrites, and this one has been one of the most fun I've done in years. The novel has gone from 67,000 to about 102,000 (once I cut out a few things I know are going to go -- it's sitting at over 105,000 right now in actual count).

Sometimes a person writes a story and they know that it's a step forward in their ability. That's Glory. And part of the reason is that I'm not rushing it. It probably seems rushed still to most writers, but I'm moving along at a sedate pace right now compared to what I normally do.

I did top 600,000 new words yesterday, though, so I guess things are fine. (grin)

No comments: