Sunday, June 11, 2006

Prolific or not?

One book a year is not prolific by the current publishing standards. As I understand it, most big publishing companies have at least a two book contract with the second book due in about a year. That's considered normal -- not prolific.

A good many people are apparently surprised and upset to learn this, but they really don't need to worry so much about it. If they are not able to write a book in a year there are a couple different things they can do -- like writing a second book before they sell the first, or looking to publishers (like small press and electronic) who are likely not going to ask for a second book.

Being prepared for what a publisher will ask of a new writer is better than going in blind. If someone gets their first contract and only then learns that they have to write another book in a short amount of time, it could be devestating. Far better to be prepared for it, and start working on ways around the problem now.

I am prolific, but that only means I can write more first drafts than many people. It still takes me quite a while to edit. Still, when I first learned about the second book requirement in most contracts, I started making certain that I could do my best to fulfill that kind of contract. We'll see if I ever get the chance. (grin)

In other news....I think I'm going to start a zoo picture blog. I think it will be far easier than making a new website, which I absolutely don't have the time to do right now. I have a place I can upload the pictures, at least. It might be fun to post one or two a day. I have about 200 new ones to go up.And if I don't like it, I can always delete the blog. Sounds like a winner to me.

Oh... and back on the subject of being prolific -- yes, I write more than I can sell. Thinking about that tonight, as I began the rewrite of a nice little fantasy novel, I thought I might put this one up, a chapter at a time, on line. Yes, that's right -- give up the First Publication Rights and just share the story, one chapter at a time. I'm not even certain how long it will be since it's an old novel and I'm doing an extensive amount of work with it.

I'm obviously in an odd mood. Maybe I'll be over it by tomorrow.

It's 3 am. Time to get back to work on the writing. I'm actually having fun with it tonight.

Oh yeah

The damned 2YN Book From Hell is DONE! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jean said...

Note to readers, the 2YN Book from Hell is only that way to the author (it is massive and a refinement of nearly three years of classes that Zette's been running at Forward Motion). Readers and practitioners will find it a godsend in helping start and finish a novel with all the steps in between. It's Book 1 of a two book set, but if you follow it as intended, Zette has plenty of time to get Book 2 (probably from Hell for her also) completed and ready for you to devour before you need it. If you're a writer just getting started or striving for publication (but haven't achieved it yet), don't miss this book when it is offered for sale.

Congrats, Zette!

(And I love the idea of a Zoo Blog)