Tuesday, November 05, 2002

At midnight of day 4, I had 40,236 words for the NaNo novel.

I haven't enjoyed writing like this in a long time. My arms and shoulders aren't so certain it's been such fun... but my mind sure does.

It's amazing, sometimes, how often people take exception to someone having fun doing something they aren't having fun with. I'm serious. You would think that half the people who signed up for NaNoWriMo had been forced into it with guns to their heads, and that each word is extracted with a blunt needle. They're going to suffer through this and a good many of them want to make sure not only does everyone else know it... but that those of us enjoying ourselves realize that we're cruel and evil for doing so. LOL.

Look people, if you don't like it, don't do it. Simple answer. There's no competition here, except with yourself. It's a silly little thing to do, and there's no problem with deciding it isn't the way you want to spend the month.

And, well, I'm not going to feel sorry for doing well at something I enjoy. You might take a clue from my attitude, if you really want to do better at this. Stop approaching writing like it's something to be dreaded and hated. Have fun. Not only will it be a lot easier on you (and the people you live with) but it will show in your work as well. Even if you are writing the darkest, bottom of the pits story, you need to be able to enjoy the act of making those words right. Not enjoy what you have created in a sense that you think it's all fun and light, but have a sense of joy in knowing that what you wrote is the best you can create.

I still have far too much to learn about writing. I fail at a lot of key spots. But I still write with the intention of writing well, and enjoying the act itself. And I will keep doing so.

No comments: