Wednesday, March 10, 2004



I'm going to be taking on a major cataloging job soon. One that puts the 12,000 entry video catalogue to shame. One that makes the idea of catalgouing the book collection look like a good diversion to get out of this one.

I'm going to catalogue my photo collection, and save them all off on cdrs. This means scanning the prints or negatives, and the slides, and copying all the pictures from the old FD7 and FD91 disks, as well as the CD1000's small cds.

Thousands of them. Really, thousands. A trip to the zoo for a few hours usually nets me over 200 pictures. Imagine what it was like when I used to go on vacations!

My main decision right now is what sort of DPI I want to use to store the scanned stuff. I'm thinking I'll go for just 200dpi. That's good enough for the sort of computer work I do, and it's not like I'm going to get rid of the originals. I just want to be able to look at those pictures, to have them on file... to play with them again.

I imagine this as a job that will take years. I suspect that I'll never really get it completely done... but I'm going to give it a try.

Oh. I had a thought -- I can name them in much the same way that we did the video collection. Huh. Use Access drop down lists... just have to remember how to do that. Query, I think, might be best so I can have it add something to the list if I need to add one. Thumbnail copies of the pics. Links to the originals would be wonderful, but since the originals won't be on the main drive, I think I'll end up coding where they'll be. Disk numbers. Yeah....


The big problem right now is that my cdr drive died. Not a surprise -- it was kind of old, and we'd scavenged it from a former computer. Ah well. I know we'll have to replace it soon, so I might as well start considering what I want to do.

Oh, writing is going fine. The new novel is starting out a little slower than I expected, for some reason, though. On the other hand, I had a great opening idea for a new Sangre story, so I started that tonight and I'm already over 1000 words on it. I haven't written a short story in a while, so that's nice. And this is really fun. I think I needed fun.

Time to open Access and play a little, I think. And maybe scan in a couple slides....


No comments: