Sunday, September 06, 2026

Flash Fiction #735 -- Doom/7

 


 

Martlyn is the youngest of the Elder Fae.  She takes her position far too seriously, I think.  Adon looked shocked, and Marsen began mumbling an inspiring combination of curses and pleas.

Martlyn was not known for cooperation with others.  She particularly didn't like dealing with humans.  This had the look of a disaster about to explode and engulf us all, including some of the little guys who were still around. There was also the pounding sound coming louder from the hills behind us.

We could just sit here until the end, or one of us could face the problem straight on.

"Lady Martlyn," I said and gave a slight bow.  Any more and I would have fallen over.  "My assignment was to lead the humans to the City of Sunrise and let them think it was the ruins of Nerian.  Is that changed?"

"That was before we learned that Master Sylsan has been hiding magic objects in the Sunrise ruins for centuries."

"Ah.  Yes.  That does change things," I said.  "And explains why some missing items never seemed to bother him."

She looked at me with a little surprise.  Had no one else noticed? But it surprised me to realize he had taken things out of even elder fae hands.

"Nerian," I said, bringing them back to the trouble at hand.  "We are too few to sort this problem out."

"And we have no say in it?" Bob asked, stepping forward for the humans.  I had hoped they would stay silent at least until we reached Nerian.

"Right now you have two choices," Adon said.  He looked uneasy.  "You can stay here, or you can come with us."

"I suspect we are going to be attacked by rock trolls," I added with a wave of my arm toward the louder noise.  "They don't like humans or fae.  I suggest we leave quickly."

The ground had started to tremble.

"I think we should go with you," Bob replied.  No one argued.  "At least it should be interesting."

Those are the kinds of words that fae take as omens.  Interesting was not always fun, and I had the feeling our future would hold a lot of 'not fun' stuff.

Adon hadn't wasted time.  He was already building a portal and wasn't waiting for the rest of us to help.  That gave me time to watch the humans.  I am not saying they are treacherous, but you don't want to trust them until you are certain of their intentions. Right now, they mostly looked like they were in fight-or-flight 

No comments: