Friday, March 22, 2024

Flash Fiction #607 -- Do Not Waken/2

 

The Pixie darted everywhere with a nervous energy that made me worry there was more going on again.  I was using my power to keep my leg from giving out.  Besides, I already knew what was out there.  I left it to my companions to find us a path away from them.

The Wolf appeared.  Even though Rose had warned me, I still gave a slight yelp. I heard what sounded like an exasperated sigh.

"Sorry," I apologized.

"We have to get clear of this area," Rose said.  "This way is as safe as I've found.  We already mapped it out."

I didn't argue with the Pixie, especially with the Wolf behind me. Their magic surged around us, and we worried it would draw The Commission straight to us.  I had worried that my magic alone would have done it.  Now --

Now, I didn't have to worry about facing the trouble alone.

Nevertheless, I kept as fast a pace as I could.  At one point, the Wolf darted out in front as we came out of the trees and brush and into a vast open land filled with late summer flowers and tall grasses.  Despite a few scattered bushes, we would never get across that without being spotted.

The Wolf startled a dozen elk when he appeared.  They must have been resting in the sunlight and munching on grass. They naturally began to dart away at the sight of the Wolf charging in among them, but at a quiet whisper from Rose, they stopped and began grazing again.  That would be magic to know, although I hoped never to be in a situation like this again. The Fae -- including me -- don't always take Pixies seriously, and I was already starting to see that would be a mistake.

Since they were doing all the hard work, I had too much time to think. I wanted to ask about the storm that had thrown me into this realm and how Desti and Cara returned to send help for me.

"It's our only chance," Rose said. "Let's get beyond the elk and hide in the grass.  "The magic that we used will have the elk running right before the Commission shows up. I know I don't have to warn you, but just the same, don't use any magic while they are in sight."

I was already jogging through the knee-high grass with Rose keeping pace with me. The Wolf had chosen his hiding spot, close to the elk he must direct once the enemy showed up. I thought I could hear voices far too close, so I threw myself down in the grass and scooted along until I found a bit of a depression. Rose landed right by my head, so I didn't have to worry about what was happening. She would let me know.

Then, I knew the enemy had arrived.  I could feel it, even beyond the feel of magic from my two new companions. It is not clean and helpful magic like the Fae used, and I wondered what the human mages were trading in for their power.

The elk moved in a wide curve away from us, and I could feel subtle magic go with them so that it would look as though we were moving with them. I was so worried about giving them away that I could barely dare to breathe.

They went after the elk, though one sent some magic out to check the area.  Nature's own power covered us, though.  We kept still and let the world protect us.

I hadn't noticed the rain clouds until it began to pour.  At another time, I would have cursed.  However, the rain also helped keep us from sight.

I didn't move until Rose told me to sit up.

Then, I was surprised to see a stranger sitting a few feet away.  I made an odd sound, but he shook his head.

"Wolf," he said by way of introduction.  He shook grass from his hair.  "I am Silver.  We better get out of here. They'll try to track my wolf persona, but I have it buried deep now.  We have a chance to get clear of them."

I did the same with my power, even though it was nothing like what Silver could radiate.  He must have had a lot of practice at this since he worked for The Watch.  What I had heard about them was sketchy, but some reliable people believed they did good work.

I had nothing to complain about since they came here specifically to find me. I was even interested in their work, though I asked no questions.  I hoped for a better time.

By the time we had cut across the grassland and into another small line of trees, the Commission was still following the elk. As I suspected, the trees marked a pond, a small bog, and the end of a narrow brook that had dug a trench into the soft ground. The water was only a few inches deep, and the trench, including the water, was maybe four feet deep. Bushes dotted the meandering line, providing spots of cover. We didn't have to discuss it.

"The birds will give us away if I don't deal with them," Rose said.  "I'll be about five minutes ahead of you."

She took off, and I watched until she disappeared into a bush. The small birds were silent when I saw her fly on, and Silver and I were moving through the ankle-deep water. The brook was a dangerous path of slick stones and moss. I would rather she left the birds and got rid of the bugs, especially the mosquitoes. I almost complained, but given the circumstances, I decided that would be rude.

Then I saw Rose rushing back to us.

And the ground shook.

No comments: