Friday, November 03, 2023

Flash Fiction #587 -- Buffy the Princess/4

 

 


And that is what he became, his fishy tail splashing Buffy.

"He did that on purpose!" she growled.

"Yes, I think he did."

She grumbled but stopped as the light came back, the bright circle swinging over them and back again. The wind picked up and had a definite feel of magic and anger. Even Buffy knew that wasn't a good mix. The rowboat bounced on the waves, splashing into their little corner of safety and seeming to steal away the air.

 But the feeling of magic died away, and the light didn't return. By then, Serena could barely keep herself afloat. She was going to have to use magic for both of them.

Thomas's head popped up about a foot from her. She screamed and went under. Thomas grabbed her by the shoulder and yanked her back up.

"Sorry," they chorused.

Buffy snorted, and Serena couldn't decide if it came from disgust, amusement, or seawater up her nose.

"They're gone," Thomas said. "We better head for shore while we can. I don't want to be here if the person, or people, regain their strength."

"The others from the ship!" Serena protested. "Mom! Dad! We have to look --"

"Everyone but the two of you were grabbed in a magic cloud and taken away. I don't know where to go, but I think they are safe. Otherwise, it would have been easier to leave them here. I think they missed you and Buffy -- and maybe me -- because we were underwater."


"But -- but --"

"It makes sense," Buffy said. She still looked demented. "Let's get somewhere we can do something to find them."

Serena still wanted to argue, but she said no more. She supposed it would be hard enough to survive without her being unreasonable.

"Buffy, you will have to play at being my fur collar for a while," Serena said and forced herself to be calm again. How far are we from shore? I assume you can find it?"

"No problem," Thomas said.

He even helped get Buffy situated before he shoved the boat's edge up, and they all three escaped. Serena worried they wouldn't find anywhere safe again.

"Where are we?" Buffy asked after a while. It was possible she hated the silence or the fact that they'd left the debris behind. As low as they were in the water, it was impossible to see very far.

"We should be about ten miles from shore and a couple days south of the capital. It is a long way to shore, but I'll do my best to get you there. I have some magic --"

"So do I," Serena replied. "And Buffy has some gifts of her own."

"Oh. Yeah. I have to remember that just because you weren't raised at the palace, that doesn't mean you know nothing about magic."  Thomas swam a few strokes in silence. "If even half of what we've heard is true --"

"That hardly seems fair," Serena said before he could go on. Buffy sighed. "I didn't even know I had cousins."

"There are too many of us, and no one gets along. Well, except for Thina's gang, but they only follow her to see what trouble she'll cause next."

"Sounds unpleasant," Selena answered.

"She's not my favorite person," he admitted. "And her friends are worse. Although maybe I shouldn't say such things. You should judge everyone yourself. Never mind what I've said."

"I'll trust your judgment until I learn otherwise. Tell me about more of them."

They talked for a long while. Buffy slept. The day passed quickly, at least.   It was easy not to be scared when she had Buffy and Thomas to talk with. She tried not to worry about her mother, father, and the others. It would have been easier to kill them at the wreck. They were alive somewhere.

"The water pattern changed. We're near land. An island, I bet." Thomas sounded excited. "At least we'll have a chance to rest!"

"That would be good," Serena agreed. Buffy made a hopeful sound. "And if we can dry out, Buffy and I can fly. We need to dry out and warm up."

"You really can fly? Since you haven't, I assumed that part of the story wasn't true."

"Just too cold, wet, and shocked. Besides, we had just promised Mom that we wouldn't unless there was a real need. I think this is it."

"I can do some recognizance work," Buffy suggested. "I'm less likely to be spotted."

"Yes, that's true. But you must be careful."

"I will. How far to the island?"

"It feels like maybe a mile. It can't be big, or we'd have seen it by now."

"Out of the water is all we need," Serena replied and felt a sense of hope coming back to her again. Of course, Mom would consider this important enough to break the rule about not flying, and not just because she was in trouble. Serena had hoped to spend at least a day at the castle before she broke that rule, though.

Then suddenly, the island was there. She could see it, but neither movement nor magic seemed possible now, even though she desperately wanted to reach that beach and those trees.

Serena just closed her eyes ...

"If you drown now, so do I."

Buffy always knew the right things to say.

No comments: