Saturday, May 13, 2023

Flash Fiction #562 -- Neko/7

 

Colin came in the door, and Neko looked up. He had been sitting morosely on the counter for some time, and now he sat up straighter and winced even at that movement.

"I'm tired," Neko said, and he didn't dare try to stretch. "I'm going to my room and sleep."

"Haven't you wondered why Maude was so interested in finding you?" Colin asked.

Neko took a little more interest. "I thought it strange."

"When I healed you, I found something at the back of your neck. It might be an amulet of some kind. I couldn't tell in the heat of the battle, but I thought it held some of Maude's magic."

Neko's back paw came up to scratch the point he couldn't quite reach. He snarled in frustration.

"I'll get it out," Colin said, but he came no closer. "However, I can't say the result, Neko. First, tell me what you remember about being trapped here."

"Maude had told me she needed to get to the well, so we traveled to this town. I didn't know why, although I felt it had something to do with her past. Locals were waiting for her ... at least, I thought that was what they were, but it was very much a night like this one. Except for those waiting  by the well -- were they fae?"

"They might have been, but if so, they were most likely Darion's clan. We can ask him. What happened to get you trapped here?"

"We ran. That surprised me, given Maude's usual attitude. Around the corner and I saw the open door, a place to take cover. I darted that way and started to turn when I heard her yell. "Go in. You'll never leave again. You won't abandon me!"  Something hit me hard in the back of the head as I started to turn back. I stumbled across the door's threshold and never left again."

Colin nodded as though it all made sense. "I think she wanted you here near the well."

"And left me with some sort of key," Neko said with a nod, too aware of how much he had come to ape human -- and fae -- movements.

"I think so. I think I can remove it with little trouble, but I can't guarantee it, Neko.  Darion has volunteered to help if you don't mind."

"Help might be wise," the cat agreed and tried to reach the spot again. "As soon as possible because knowing it is there makes my skin crawl."

Colin went to the door and signaled Darion inside. The second fae looked far too serious, which did nothing for Neko's state of mind. They must have discussed what to do because they crossed to him without any discussion.

"It is right here," Colin said with a slight tape between the cat's shoulder blades. "Buried in the muscle on the right side. It wouldn't be obvious to anyone but those who have magic."

"A few people have tried to take me away from here through the years. I always disappear and pop back up here in the building. I did wonder why no one made noise about it, but if they knew enough to sense magic, that makes sense."

"Stretch out on the counter," Colin said. "Head on your paws --"

Neko didn't remember much after that, although he remained at least awake enough to know they were doing things. He appreciated that they didn't force him into an unnatural sleep.

Then he felt a sharp pain and hissed, but it passed quickly, thanks to Darion. Colin did some more work, but in no more than another five minutes, the cat was fully awake again. His right leg felt stiff, and his shoulder a little sore, but otherwise, he felt fine.

"You two did good work," Neko said. "What did you find?"

They both grinned.

"You are still you," Darion said. "I didn't think removing the piece would affect you that way.   Everything about you feels about the same to me."

"Good," Neko said. "Thank you. What did you find?"

Colin laughed and placed a tiny, dark stone ball before him. Neko had the urge to bat it away.

Then he sensed the magic.

"Is that part of the ogres' stone of power?"

"Yes," Colin replied. "Good guess. It was small enough that it wouldn't be sensed by anyone with little or no power."

"I should have felt it," Neko said with some disgust.

"You had other magics to worry about, and by the time you were used to the idea of being trapped, the ball felt a part of you," Darion explained.

It made sense, but he still didn't like it.

"Now, the big question," Colin added. "Has it been fueling the spell keeping you here?"

Neko's head came up with a snap. He felt dizzy at the thought and unable to even speak. Colin put out a hand to settle him, and Neko took several quick breaths.

"Do you think it possible?" he finally dared ask and looked at the door the ogres had knocked down.

"Maude has intelligence, too much ego -- and not as much power as she would like," Darion replied. "Setting a spell that lasted for centuries? Not without something to fuel it."

Neko still stared at the door. "People have taken me out, got a few blocks, and lost me. I tried to cross the threshold a few times but never got across on my own." He jumped down and felt a slight shock in his leg but hardly even winced. He took a few tentative steps forward and stopped. "I might as well find out now."

Neko gathered himself up and made a long leap over the broken door and through the open frame. The last time he'd tried leaping out, the spell had knocked him back several feet.

It didn't this time. Neko stood out in the open night air staring around with wonder.

No comments: