Saturday, April 15, 2023

Flash Fiction #558 -- Neko/3

 

The pixies screamed in terror and tried to get back into the book. Finding it sealed, they screamed louder and darted upward, hitting each other, falling, and finally finding a spot under the counter where they huddled in a ball of glittering colors and fluttering wings.

Neko would have preferred that they go up high on the shelves, but he nudged a box of order forms closer to help cover the flickering light.

Something huge blocked out the long, narrow window in the door and began to pound. The glass cracked, but Colin was there and reinforced the door with enough magic that it glowed.

Whatever was outside the door was not happy with Collin's work. It pounded harder, but the magic only glowed brighter.

"You might as well go back," Colin shouted to whatever was outside. "You are not getting get through the door."

Despite not wanting to get any closer, Neko left the counter and passed the window by leaping from the counter to a bookshelf. When he was close to Colin, he stood up and leaned to whisper in the Fae's ear.

"Back door," Neko whispered, pointing down the hall behind the counter.

Colin headed that way, leaping over the counter. Whatever was at the door pounded again but must have realized the Fae was gone. It moved to the window, a monstrous, gray, warty face with shrunken eyes and pointed incisors.

Neko thought he might crawl under the counter with the pixies.

The creature brought up a fist four times the size of Neko's head -- but just as he rammed it against the glass, the entire window began to glare with power, just like the door. Colin walked calmly over to look at the thing that wanted in with them.

"You really didn't think it would be that easy, did you?"

The creature grumbled something that might have been words as it turned and ambled away, impervious to the worsening storm. Colin and Neko watched until it turned a corner and disappeared.

Colin turned his back to the door and slid down to the floor. He looked back up at Neko and offered a wane smile. "I've used far too much magic since I came to this realm," the Fae explained.

"What is going on?" Neko demanded as he jumped down on the floor as well.
"There's a tear in the veil along the border that leads to this realm." Colin looked at Neko and frowned a little. "You have any idea what I'm talking about?"

"I mostly understand," Nico replied. The storm battered at the door, but the shield remained strong even enough that it kept the rain from coming in under the edge. "For obvious reasons, I am obsessed with magic. I've only seen a couple other Fae, and they didn't realize I knew what they were. I also know about the Veil of tried to make it that far before I am pulled back to the building. I'd hoped it would be strong enough to counter the magic if I got through."

"In my work," Colin replied. He didn't look inclined to stand up yet. "I'll think about that one while we consider other problems."

With a little more food again, the pixies returned from hiding. They didn't wander far, though; Neko could hear the nervous whispers whenever he came near. They finally figured out that he was a cat, and though they had never faced a cat before, they seemed to know that it would be trouble. Neko just kept his distance and stayed with the Fae.

"Is this tear a terrible accident, or did someone do it intentionally?" Nico finally asked. The storm was not letting up, and Colin didn't look inclined to go out in the weather.

"We want to believe it's an accident, but there been an awful lot of strange accidents of late, and it could be that someone or something is behind them."

"That sounds like more trouble than I expected," Neko admitted. He had started pacing the floor, his tail twitching as he felt more trapped than he had in decades. Something was happening just beyond the door to the shop, and he could do nothing to help one way or another. "You came here because of my magic books?"

"The tear was happening near here, and I felt the stockpile of power. A little research showed me the bookstore was up for sale.   Since the trouble with the Veil will likely keep me in the area for some time, buying the place seemed a good idea."

"And my personal problem melded into the rest of the magic," Neko added. "I have read where you can make traps, covering the dangerous part with random magic and lesser spells."

Colin nodded and looked at Neko.  "I assume you planned to do something like that to trap Maude?"

"I studied and planned for about the first fifty years," Neko admitted. "Being a Familiar meant I knew enough magic of my own to handle it. She never returned, and I gave up, thinking her dead. I've heard rumors about her in the last century, though. I think she's still alive."

"What would you do if she walked in right now?" Colin asked as he finally started to stand.

"Claw her eyes out," Neko replied, then seeing the Fae's worried reaction, added, "It's a cat thing. I'd probably have to content myself with biting her ankles."

At least he found that one amusing. Neko went back to the counter and sat near the forbidden book. The Pixies had all fallen asleep, even though the storm was worsening, and Colin was obviously worried.

Lightning brightened the world, followed by a quick explosion of light, and then the power failed.

"A transformer is out," Neko said and suspected Colin didn't know what that meant.

Then Neko hissed. The ogre was back, and he had brought several large and loud friends.
 

No comments: