Friday, November 04, 2022

Flash Fiction #535 -- The Long Way Home/34

 

Rory took one step forward. He could hear the wind growing now that Zorian turned his attention to it. There hadn't even been time to find something relevant.  

A book fell off a shelf and hit his foot.

"Ow!"

"I didn't do that," Zorian said. He looked at the book with more dread than hope.

"I didn't feel any magic," Rory replied and nudged the book with his foot.

"No human magic."

Rory looked back at him with a nod, then leaned over and swooped the book up.

"Old," he said. Thunder shook the shelves. "The title is worn off the cover."

"Huh."

People yelled as the wind grew louder. Rory sighed and flipped the book open. The title startled him.

"Yes? Zorian said with a touch of impatience.

"The Book of Aien and Eket."

"Of course, it is," Zorian mumbled and held out his hand. "Just give it to me. I can find what we need faster. I know this story."

Something in his look told Rory not to argue. He gave over the book. Zorian began scanning as they walked back toward the work tables. The others had gathered up all the papers before the wind and rain hit and were fighting with the shutters now.

Rory crossed to them and used a little magic to snap them shut and even put a seal over the leaks.

"Glad to see you are useful, Roridan," Ragkin said snidely.

Now Rory remembered why he'd gotten so tired of life at court. Even Zorian shook his head in disbelief.  

A guard came to herd them back down to the lower level where the queens waited and not sitting in state this time. The people hurrying in and out were not courtiers, either.

This trouble came from more than the strange storm.

"Ships crashing into the dock and things climbing off of them," Andora explained with a frantic glance at the door where more women came in, this time dragging a hissing creature wrapped in chains.

"That's not going to hold --" Zorian began and started that way.

Rory moved with him, and so did Andora, though she also shouted orders, and people listened to her. Rory still needed to learn her rank.

Now wasn't the time to ask.

The creature started to shed circles of chains as if they were no more than pieces of yarn. Some became dangerous weapons, knocking people down.

"What in all the hells --" Andora shouted over the creature's howling.

"That is a very annoyed young dragon," Zorian said as he walked toward the howling beast.

Rory wasn't sure why he went with his friend, except that Zorian had stood with him all through this madness. Andora did as well, though maybe that was more duty rather than insanity. He needed to figure out where he should draw the line. Wasn't he going to the dragon to help protect his own queen?

They were close enough that the tip of a chain caught Rory across the ankle, and he would have gone down except for Andora, who caught hold of him.

By then, though, Zorian had rushed ahead, dragged the last chain off the creature, tossed it aside, and grappled the beast barehanded.

Rory didn't see what exactly happened, but he knew it had nothing to do with magic. This was pure strength and ability. The dragon swiped a long-clawed hand at Zorian, but he caught the wrist. Then the dragon flipped over and landed on his back.

"Ugh -- ooff," the dragon snarled as Zorian landed on his stomach.

"What the hell are you doing, Greenal?" Zorian demanded.

Knew the dragon? Rory lowered his hand where magic had just begun to gather. Andora was slower to drop her sword. The dragon, though, had stopped fighting. It blinked huge green eyes, the same color as his scales, and focused on the man standing atop him.

"My -- my Lord Zorian," the creature whispered. "I -- make it stop! I hurt. My head. Take it away!"

"Rory, can you help?"

The dragon had started to twist and turn, his eyes gone wild, and his long jaws began to snap. The arms and legs had been held to the floor by Zorian's powers, but he was having trouble with the head. Rory understood and darted around so that he stood where he could grab the top of the head and use magic to seal the mouth.  

Zorian nodded approval, knelt on the stomach, and put both his hands on the sides of the dragon's head. The creature howled and tossed once and then went still.

Rory had never felt such magic as Zorian used just then. Powerful stuff, and it didn't seem to come from him, but instead used the man as a conduit. A sprinkling of wild rushing stars spread from Zorian's fingers and spread out over the dragon's head -- and then drew back until they formed a circle just above the eyes.

The dragon moaned as something needle-like began to pull up out of his head. It pulsed black and purple, more than a foot long and almost an inch in diameter. Something evil -- Rory could sense that from the moment it first appeared.

"Don't touch the spike," Zorian warned, breathless and shaking.

"I won't," he replied and held tighter to the head. The dragon had begun making soft sounds of pain but didn't react violently.

Everyone else had gone silent. They had even backed away without being told. In the silence, Rory could hear more trouble outside. He suspected this wasn't the only dragon, and there may have been more ships and other things --

They needed to focus on this problem first. The spike continued to lift upward but also began to emit a dark power.

"Aien help us," Zorian whispered.

"Aien and Eket help us," Rory added.

"Oh hell." Zorian frantically worked again. "I should have warned you about that!"

Something powerful was heading their way...



1 comment:

Achima Abelard said...

Thank you for this wonderful post, I want to use this opportunity to share about My life how I strunggled with Hiv/Aids Disease before the Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases, HIV, Herpes, Neuromuscular Diseases , Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, ..www.drituaherbalcenter.com .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.