Saturday, October 02, 2021

Flash Fiction #478 -- The Storm Breaks/3

 

Con began to sing about companions and safety.  Woven into the words and music were the magical directions of where to go --

The wind blew with cold magic like I'd never felt before.  Con, who had been facing west, turned north and began the same song again.  I hoped he only had to do the cardinal points once.

I scanned the sky when something dark swept down at Conaire.  I moved in front of the bard, slashing with the knife, which cut and drew a hiss of anger but didn't stop the creature.

"Out of the way, Key!" the rock troll ordered.

I dropped to my knees.  Grint swung the blade and cut the thing in half.  It turned to dust and disappeared in the wind.

Conaire never lost a note.

We fought off four more of the beasts before Conair finished two complete cardinal rounds of the song.  He'd used a lot of magic, and I barely caught him before he fell.

Grint grabbed him up, and we hurried away.  My arm hurt.  I didn't remember getting the cut.

We took to the subways as soon as possible.  The feel of that cold wind didn't follow us.

A few fae had already arrived.  Con had recovered and moved to take care of them since Grint made them nervous.  Grint just shook his head and smiled.  No, still didn't work -- but I saw a genuinely amused look on his face when the fae all fled, taking Conaire with them.

Grint chuckled.  Softly.  We headed for the crevice that led into the cavern where the trolls were carefully expanding, making sure they reinforced everywhere.  We had a huge city overhead, and no one wanted it to crash down and kill the humans or us.

I had just turned to Grint when someone grabbed my arm and pulled me around.

I faced someone I hadn't seen since my exile -- Beringer, who had been responsible for me being here.

Before I could say anything, he slugged me with enough magic that I felt my jaw break.  I went down.

Grint grabbed Beringer and tossed him, rather gently, toward another group of fae whom I didn't know.

"You, fool, stay back," Grint ordered.

Beringer didn't argue, but he still glared.  "He's an exile.  He doesn't belong with the rest of us."

I hadn't considered this problem.  I would have to go.  I could still help, but not here.  My jaw, though --

"I don't think that's your say," Con said, coming back to join us.

"Conaire," Beringer said with at least some shock.  "I didn't think you would sink this low."

Con had knelt by me, a gentle touch of his fingers fixing first the jaw and then the cut on my arm.  I saw a look on his face that chilled me when he turned back at Beringer.

"Be careful of what you say, Beringer.  You really don't want me to make a song about you, now do you?"

Beringer went pale.  He backed up a step and then another before he turned and started to press through the group of fae who had gathered.

Conaire helped me to my feet.  I nodded my thanks, but I was still trying to figure out what to do.

"I rather hoped you would turn him into a toad," Grint said and sounded all too serious.

"Not this time," he said.  "Everyone gets one chance.  Though I am tempted to the song anyway.   Ah, Lord Meridith."

I looked up to see the man crossing to us.  Damn.   Beringer's father -- and the man who had exiled me.

I didn't blame him for trusting his son.  Beringer hadn't seemed quite as stupid back then.

"My Lord," I said with a proper bow of my head.

"I do hope you aren't going to do anything to provoke me," Conaire said.

"Or you'll turn me into a toad?" he said, and I heard unexpected humor in the words.  "Or make a song of my dull life?"

"I could make your life less dull, if you like," Conaire offered, also in a better mood.

"I would rather you tell me about Keylis and how he comes to be here with you."

"He saved me from a dangerous situation that I didn't even recognize.  He figured out where most of the rest of us were, up here in Boston.  He's helped us work around the humans and even get food without drawing more attention.  Tonight, he was wounded protecting me as I put out the call. Without his help, we would not be in any hopeful situation now."

Meredith frowned.  "You know there is something dark out there.  Something hunting us, I think."

"I know.  We saw some of them tonight.  I begin to think it is no chance that blew so many of us here."

"I think the same."  He turned to me.  "Keylis."

"Lord Meredith," I replied with another bow of my head.

"I have sometimes acted in haste and out of fear that I might learn something I don't want to know.  I hope I am wiser now."

"Sir," I said with a nod.

He reached out, magic in his hand.  I would be dead before another breath.

"As Lord Meredith, and within my rights, I rescind the exile of Keylis and welcome him back to the clan."

Then he turned and walked away.  I wanted to say something in gratitude, but I had gone back to my knees, gasping.

"Key!" Conaire said, worried.

"Okay, okay.  No toads," I said.  I caught my breath.  "Powers came back.  Surprised me."

Conaire grinned and helped me back up again.  I was unsteady -- but pleased.  I could help now.  Really help.

"Beringer got off too easy," Grint complained as we went to sit down at a stone table.  "Can I at least scare him a bit now and then?"

"I have no complaints," Conaire said.  I even managed a nod.

"Good," Grint said and smiled.

I was kind of getting used to it.

The End

No comments: