Sunday, July 18, 2021

Heart Problems (not a flash fiction)


 

 At about 1:30 am on Saturday (7/17/21), I started feeling awful.  It passed quickly into terrible with a headache so bad I can't even describe it, and horrendous pain starting in my neck and spreading down both arms and eventually to my chest.  By then we were heading to the hospital.

They took me right in and called the cardiologist and prepared for a closer look at the heart.  The first guesses were a stroke because of the headache, but they soon realized I was in the midst of a major heart attack.  It held on for over an hour until they found a completely clogged artery and got it cleaned out and put in two stints.  I think I remember it getting better.  

All I really remember is staring at the ceiling and wanting someone to make it stop hurting.  An hour or more of this pain was just too much.  Five minutes had been too much.  I do remember one odd thing, though, after they were into the work.  Someone said something (I don't remember the exact words from either of us, just the gist of what was said):

Him: You want us to go in and fix anything we can and stop the pain, right?

Me: Absolutely

Him: You all heard that, right?

At that point they didn't think they even had time to ask Russ's permission from the next room.  

After they were done, things got better.  Tests, tests, blood tests -- my arms are bruised and sore from elbows to wrists.  My wonderful husband stayed with me except for a couple hours when he had to go to work before they could get someone in.
 
(Yes, it was important he do so.  They proctor tests and they are not allowed to have less than two people working.  If he hadn't shown up, many people -- some of whom had come from out of town -- would have been told they couldn't test.  Another of the workers hurried in as fast as she could, too.)

Now here is an odd thing.  I have always had very high blood pressure.  For insurance reasons, I'd been off my meds for over a month.  However, my blood pressure stayed fine for this entire mess and even went low a couple times -- and since it was a clogged artery causing the problem, being without the pills was not what brought this on.

The worst part, once the pain was gone, was just lying in that bed for hours and hours with noting to do but watch the main monitor.  I learned how to direct one line by moving my arms -- lift the right arm and the line went up.  Lift the left arm, and it went down.  I considered trying to draw pictures.

I had excellent care.  I didn't realize how serious the problem had been until Sunday when the cardiologist said something like "It was a difficult procedure" and the next time he came by he said 'We won one.'  It turns out that a lot of people don't survive this particular kind and strength of heart attack.

All day Sunday, people who had been there at various phases, stopped by to see how I was doing.  "It turns out that the "We won one" attitude had spread.

I am grateful to these people. Even though I was anxious to go home, I was always aware of how much work the nurses put into making sure I was doing all right and helping make me comfortable.

They turned me loose on Sunday afternoon.  We stopped to pick up prescriptions.  I fell asleep three times while we sat there as Russ got the pills and some cat food.

I came home.  I went to bed and slept for hours.  I came out and sat in a comfy chair and slept for more hours.

I still feel off, of course.  Actually, I feel pretty horrible and keep panicking at any little flutter of a feeling.  Russ will be home for a day or two.  I have instructions.  Because of heart damage, I need to go easy for a while.  (Yeah, well, that's never been a problem.)

So, that was my weekend and the start of my new changes in life.  I hope to do well.

Right now, though -- I think I'll go nap.

1 comment:

Deb Salisbury, Magic Seeker and Mantua-Maker said...

Many hugs, Zette. I'm glad you pulled through! I hope you start feeling better soon.

Now go take another nap. ;-)