Thursday, June 17, 2021

Flash Fiction #463 -- Raiders/13


 I did a quick calculation on the were's direction and speed.  We had a short break.  Very short -- but I knew how to make the most of it.

"Krisin, get your ass moving and head to the repair bay.  We'll pick you up, but we won't have much time."

"Tana --"

"Get moving!  It's one thing for the two of us to shoot at a ship docked, another to take on at least six were ships.  We're the only fighter here, Krisin.  We need to have a full crew!"

"He's already running," a timid voice said.

"Good.  Thank you."

I shut down the comm and looked at Lisel, trying to think what to say.

"We need to be together," Lisel said, glancing my way.  His ears were not back, but I saw a look of resignation in his eyes.  "We need to do this right."

I wanted to say something ... inspiring, maybe.  Something important.

"Let's grab Krisin and kick some alien ass," I said.

Lisel stared for a moment and then burst out in such laughter that he couldn't stop, and I still had to maneuver the fighter into the bay.  Befly handled our quick drop without a problem and had the base turning to shoot us back out before a panting Krisin clambered up and threw himself inside.

We were still laughing.

"No, their fine," Krisin said.  "This is normal."

"The Gods help us," Belfry said but stepped back and gave a signal.  I could see some people rushing our way, but she had others lined up to hold them off.  That would be the Sailfor crew.

We'd come back and deal with them later.

Krisin took his place with a few grunts.  We were already on the turn.  I put the vid on to the back of the craft -- yes, there was a battle back there, but the others were already retreating --

And then we were back out into the endless night.  I chose our path away from the Sailfor and out at an angle to the incoming ships.  We still didn't have visuals, and I wanted to believe we were wrong about the enemy.  

Though at least were would be something I understood.  I might even be an expert on them.  There were rumors that my team had taken out more were craft than any other.  Maybe more than multiples of other fighters.  I did not keep score.  I had a bad feeling about doing something like that.

"What have we got?" I asked.

"Trouble everywhere," Lisel answered.  His hands moved fast across the controls.  Krisin had the engine power perfect and the weapons ready.    I just watched the screens and the area in front of us.  Were could be tricky.  The obvious group coming in might be there to draw attention.

We didn't talk much.  Sometimes inane things.  Krisin's hope for a date with a certain sub-pilot on the Belgium bridge and Lisel's odds on his chances this time.

"It might go up if we survive," Lisel offered.

"You are such a help," Krisin mumbled.  Then his voice changed.  "Moving in range.  We are fully powered with a bias toward weapons.  I can switch to shields when needed. Of course, we'll sacrifice speed -- but we aren't going to be running anyway, right?

"Probably not," I agreed.  I had to give up on the idea that the ships might not be were.  "Any sign of a mother ship or any other larger craft?  These fighters aren't going to collect anything from the station."

"I doubt the were are looking for anything to take," Lisel pointed out.  "They'll leave the scavenging to their human allies.  All they want is the stations destroyed."

"I wonder why," I said.

"At a guess, I'd say they don't like us," Krisin offered.

"Ha.  But really -- why are they attacking stations suddenly?  And why in this sector?  What are we missing?"

"Something I hope we'll have time to figure out," Lisel said.  "After this problem."

This problem was six alien ships, each of them twice the size of the fighter, turning their attention on them.  I shoved my questions to the back of my mind and focused on the trouble.

I had a feeling that the were had become aware of her fighter and crew, but I counted on them associating it with the Belgium and would not expect to find them attached to the station.  I even varied my usual sweep in for the attack, too, just to get them off-center for a little longer.  The closer we got, the better this would go.

Were had never quite figured out how well human ships could maneuver.  Theirs were not as maneuverable, but they did have speed and high-powered weapons -- and a shell that was damned hard to crack.

I knew their weak points.  Taking on one or two wouldn't have worried me too much.  Six, though...

No choice.  Surprise was our only hope.

I flew straight at them, firing one of the guns and taking out two of the misshapen were craft.  I did not turn aside.

"Tana," Lisel said, a bit of worry in his voice.

We took two hits before our fighter went dead, tumbling slightly to the right.  Neither of my companions said anything.  Maybe they'd even figure out my plan.  I was sorry we hadn't had time to discuss it -- though we just would have argued and I would have won the disagreement anyway.  I had the controls.

I keyed up one of our emergency tactics, putting out a lot of electronic chaff that would look as if our system had crashed.  It also masked any close look at the fighter itself.

The aliens rarely bothered with disabled fighters, at least not until they were done with their primary objective.  I was counting on that, but I still held my breath as the remaining four swept over and around us.

"Ready?" I said.

"Note how she asks after we are committed to her plan," Krisin said.


1 comment:

R's Rue said...

This looks so good.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com