Thursday, May 30, 2019

Flash Fiction # 357 -- Connor of Northgate/41



 "Connor, there is something you haven't seemed to grasp," Nylia said. "Yes, we are all fey, and we have powers that we are born with, and some stronger than others.  Those are powers you cannot have or understand.  However, the gate powers are not the same.  They are physically passed on to the new lord.  Any of us would face the same problems as you, though, granted we might have a little better understanding.  I don't see where that precludes you from learning, though."

Connor hadn't considered that aspect of this mess.  Maybe if he'd had some time before the change --but no one had expected such a disaster.

"Thank you.  This has been confusing. I still think if one of you had been there with us--"

"It still would have gone to you," Antisha said. "Lord Northgate had discussed the possibility with my father two years ago to make certain of the laws.  You would have been the heir.  No one expected you to take the rule of the gate for a long time, though."

More news he hadn't expected, but it made more sense of things. If Lord Northgate hadn't thought Connor capable of the work, he could have let the power go back to the stone, and the king and court would have dealt with the problem of installing a new lord.

Connor felt a sense of calm for the first time since this trouble began.

"The journey back to Northgate isn't going to be easy," Earlis added. "Is the king going to give us guards?"

"No," Antisha said.  That drew everyone's attention.  "He's going to give us a chance to get away unnoticed, instead."

"Oh yes, every wise," Conner said.

"Is it?" Erlis asked and looked confused.

"A few soldiers wouldn't be enough to help us.  An entire army would invite attack.  Far better if we can get clear and head for home with little notice."

"How are we ever going to slip away?" Nylia asked.

"The king is sending a few guards and me with the Centaurs when they go home."

"I thought you said -- Oh." Erlis smiled.  "We play guards.  The centaur lands are between us and home."

"The centaurs will denounce having a human as a gate lord," she added with a smile.  "This is completely for show. We don't want you involved in that part of the game, Connor.  If you were there, it would have to go to a battle between Braslyn and you.  Without your presence, the Centaurs can leave in anger.  I've always been a favorite with them, so it won't look odd for me to go along to smooth things over.  You'll act as a set of guards hastily called to go along.  I trust you won't have a problem wearing the uniform of the King's Own?"

"An honor," Connor replied with a bow of his head.  Then he looked at Liam.  "You are very quiet."

"I am reassessing my position," Liam replied.  The words sounded oddly straight forward and without any hesitation. Liam sat up straighter. "I've been worried about taking people to the wrong path, you know. I looked at everything, looked again, and finally gave so little advice that I might as well not have been with you at all."

"But -" Antisha began.

Liam lifted his hand and silenced everyone.  "I need to reconsider why I'm here.  There is a reason, and it's not simply so that you carry me around from place to place.  Here is what I see: one path leads to Galen winning. That is not the path we want.  I will try my best to keep us from that path, but I cannot see far, you know.  Everything branches."

"But you are willing to give us some direction this time," Connor said.

"Yes.  Because I saw the chaos and the way thins might have gone without direction.  I am a seer.  There are not many in our history.  It's time I step forward and do my duty."

"You did not help Galen," Nylia said.

"No, I did not. If Galen had killed me for holding back, you would have been no worse off for not having me, especially if I wasn't willing to give you any real advice.  That's changing."

"So, you think we're doing the right thing?" Erlis asked.

"I think you are doing the wisest thing under the circumstances. I don't know what will happen.  If I see something you should know, I'll tell you."

"Fair enough," Connor replied.  "I won't badger you for answers."

Liam gave a slight smile.

"Be ready," Antisha said as she stood.  "Which would you prefer?  Tomorrow night or before dawn?"

They all looked around the room.  Erlis was the one who gave a sigh finally.  "I suspect it would go better at a regular time?  People would suspect a line if we left before dawn."

"That's what I think," Antisha said.  She glanced at Liam but then shook her head.  "No, I don't need you to tell us when we are doing something that is obviously smart.  I'll bring your uniforms tonight. We'll work out the details tomorrow."

"One last day of living well," Nylia said with a sigh.  She stood and stretched.  "I'll see you at dinner."

The others wandered out, though Liam stayed until last. "I can't guarantee that everything will go well," he said as he stopped by the door.  "Even if I push you in the direction I think is best, there are far too many possible changes.  We have to be careful, Connor.  You have to look at possibilities, too.  Talk to me about them.  The paths I see are just shadows; knowing some specific possibilities can help define them."

Connor nodded.  Liam left.

Connor sat by the desk for a moment longer.  So much to take in.

Light played along the tips of his fingers.  Connor took a deep breath and calmed.  He hadn't failed yet.

No comments: