Saturday, April 24, 2004



Just dropping in at 4 am to say that the editing on Muse is going well. I'm taking this weekend to finish it up. I've come to realize that I need to take a few days now and then just to devote to my writing again. Lately I've been just dithering around with various pieces. Muse should have been done long before this.

I only have five chapters left to go in the big stuff, and then a reading again and fix of little stuff. I think I can have it done by Monday.

This is one of those books that amaze me when I read it. It's not like what I normally write at all. And while I won't pretend that it's perfect, I have to admit that as I read it I'm pretty surprised by what a good story it is. The novel is only going to be about 75,000 words, I think -- but all my mystery writing books say that's long enough for the type of story I'm telling, so I'm going to stop worrying about the word count.

I'm anxious to be done with it -- not because I want it finished, but because I want to read the whole, instead of pieces that I'm fixing.

However, it's now about 4:30 am. I've been going back and forth between this and the story for the last half hour, and I'm really not making progress on either one. I think it's time to call it a night and get some more sleep before I tackle the last few chapters. There is a significant change to the ending, so I'll want to be mostly awake for that one. (grin)

What am I going to do with it when I'm done? I'm not entirely certain yet. I might look for Beta Readers -- which I normally don't do because my own over crowded schedule makes it nearly impossible to return the favor very often. It's almost more than I can do to edit the material for Vision some issues, let alone get out there and critique more. And thinking about it, I'm going to be very busy with the 2YN stuff to read for others.

Well, whatever I do, I'm going to have Muse done soon. And that puts me in a better mood. I was right to take a couple days off just to work on it (and the occasional Vision article editing to break it up and get that work done as well).

It looks like a good weekend.

No comments: